- Do you worry about checking your mail?
- Do you want to do your own grocery shopping?
- Have you missed going out for a walk alone around your block on a beautiful summer day?
- Do stairs make you nervous?
- Would you feel safer knowing how to evacuate your home in case of an emergency?
- Have you noticed problems avoiding obstacles, ranging from hte coffee table in your house to pot holes on your sidewalk?
Whether you have had training before or not, if you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, Orientation and Mobility (O&M) training may be beneficial for you.
Your next step should be to talk with a professional. A Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS) is the professional trained to provide O&M instruction.
At Second Sense, you work with our mobility instructor to set your training goals and cover as much or as little as you need. So, if you just want to learn how to safely and independently walk to your mailbox, that will be your training goal. But, we will work with you and encourage you to reach for as many goals as you can. You may be surprised by what you can accomplish!
If you are interested in O&M training, please email Eleni Gaves at Second Sense or call 312-236-8569.