- Are you able to independently go check your mail?
- Can you go to the grocery store alone to get what you need?
- Are you able to go out for a walk alone around your block on a beautiful summer day?
- Do you feel safe going up and down stairs in your home or in a new place?
- Do you have the skills to safely evacuate your home in case of an emergency?
- Are you able to safely avoid obstacles, ranging from your coffee table in your house to pot holes on your sidewalk outside?
Whether you have had training before or not, if you answered “No” to any of these questions, Orientation and Mobility (O&M) training may be beneficial for you.
Your next step should be to talk with a professional. A Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS) is the professional trained to provide O&M instruction.
At Second Sense, you work with our COMS to set your training goals. So, if you just want to learn how to safely and independently walk to your mailbox, that will be your training goal. You can also change your goals or add new goals during training.
If you are interested in O&M training, please contact us at Second Sense by calling 312-236-8569.