You will have the best results with your magnifier purchase if you have guidance from a vision rehabilitation professional. The strongest magnification is not necessarily the best option: a too-strong or too-weak magnifier will not have the desired results. A person will see best with instruction in positioning the magnifier.
- Make a list of what you most want to be able to read or see with it.
- Decide if you want it to carry with you shopping or dining or if you want to only use it at home.
- Know your physical limitations. Mention if you have a weak grip, arthritis or a hand tremor.
- Choose something from home that you have been trying to read and bring it with you.
- Ask the seller about return policies — the lighting in the store will not be the same as in your home.
When you purchase your magnifier at Second Sense, make an appointment with Brian Hollandsworth, 312-236-8569, and let him know you would like some instruction on proper magnification use.