Thursday, October 19 - 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
65 E. Wacker Place, Suite 1010
Chicago, IL 60601
Parents with vision loss raising sighted children face some unique challenges. How do you manage all the aspects of child rearing when you have your own difficulties? How do you face the judgement of others? How do you ensure that your child’s safety and well-being is protected?
As your child grows, adjustments need to be made. How do you fit in at your child’s school and activities? Do you wonder how your vision loss is affecting your child’s self-image?
Join us at Second Sense as we delve into the rewarding world of raising children. In this series, we’ll talk about strategies, share ideas and gather the support needed to raise a healthy and well-adjusted child. At our December meeting, we invite the kids to join in the discussion to hear their take on how all of this affects them.
Here’s what we’ll be talking about:
Navigating as a Parent in a Sighted World
Thursday, October 19, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Finding the confidence to be a parent and not give up your responsibilities to others
- Balancing your role as a parent vs. the need for sighted assistance
- Advocating for yourself as a parent when others may question your abilities
- Keeping your child safe at all ages
Becoming a Team
Saturday, December 2, 10:00 to 12:00 pm
Children old enough to join the discussion are invited!
- Handling the pressure of getting to team practices and helping with homework
- Learning how your vision loss is affecting your child
- Understanding when and when not to ask your child for help
Going Places and Doing Things Together
Thursday, May 17, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Gathering the courage to get out of the house with your child
- Planning for an outing to a museum, grocery store, movie theater or park
- Making sure your outing is fun, safe and enjoyable for all of you
To learn more and to register, call our front desk or email Polly Abbott.